Terminal Cleaning Tips
The information in this article is for merchants using Helcim's Legacy System. If you signed up for Helcim on or after June 1, 2020, please click here.
Keeping your terminals clean helps protect you, your team, and your customers from the spread of germs.
Follow these tips to keep your Verifone and Ingenico Terminals clean and free of germs without causing any damage to the terminals themselves.
Verifone Cleaning Tips
Gently clean your device with water using a lightly damp microfiber cloth.
You should not use solvents, detergents, or abrasive cleaners. Be careful not to vigorously shake the terminal to prevent triggering the tamper alert.
To disinfect your Verifone Terminal you can use an alcohol-based wipe or cleaner applied to a microfiber cloth. Do not directly spray or coat your terminal with cleaning liquid as this can damage it.
Do not use bleach, thinner, trichloroethylene, or ketone-based solvents as they can deteriorate the plastic and rubber parts of your terminal.
Ingenico Cleaning Tips
Below are the manufacturer tips for cleaning and disinfecting your Ingenico Terminal.
- To clean your Ingenico Terminal follow these steps:
- Unplug all wires, cables, and power sources
- Use a microfiber cloth that has been lightly wet with soapy water to clean the outside of the terminal
- If you want to use a disinfectant on the terminal, Ingenico approves of the following solutions:
- Sani-Cloth Germicidal Disposable Wipe. Registration EPA # 9480-4 https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/009480-00004-20070919.pdf
- Sani-Cloth Germicidal Disposable Cloth. Registration EPA # 9480-5 https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/009480-00005-20080903.pdf
- Formula 409 Antibacterial cleaner. Registration EPA # 5813-73 https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/005813-00073-20190506.pdf
- Fantastik Antibacterial cleaner. Registration EPA # 4822-613 https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/ppls/004822-00613-20181023.pdf
- If you are using a liquid cleaner, spray it onto your microfiber cloth, do not spray it directly onto your terminal
When cleaning your Ingenico Terminal, do NOT:
- Do not use alcohol cleaning solutions on non-touch terminals that have a plastic lens
- Do not use solvents, detergents, or abrasive products as they may damage the terminal’s plastic or electrical contacts
- Do not clean the terminal’s electrical connections
- Do not spray cleaners directly on the terminal
- Avoid excessive wiping of the terminal as it may damage the terminal
- Do not all moisture to enter the terminal openings or use aerosol sprays on the terminals
- Do not put anything into the terminal’s smart card reader slot
Encouraging customers to use tap or contactless payment methods when available can help prevent the spread of germs.