Helcim Legacy API - Getting Started
This documentation is for the legacy Helcim Gateway. New merchants should refer to the Helcim Commerce API documentation.
The Helcim Gateway gives merchants a more integrated payment processing solution. It allows merchants to make a direct connection with our processing gateway to create a truly customized payment solution. The Helcim Gateway is for merchants who have, or will hire someone, with the knowledge of the development and security requirements involved with programming for a processing gateway.
In order to use the Helcim Gateway you will require the following:
- Knowledge of the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI) and how it will apply to your situation.
- A valid SSL certificate.
- A server with a scripting language capable of sending and receiving an HTTP connection and POST/GET variables.
- Knowledge of HTML.
- Knowledge of a server-side scripting language (PHP, ASP, JSP, etc...).
The recommended steps to follow when developing for the Helcim Gateway are:
- Create your token in the Gateway Administration Tool.
- Use the HTML form samples included in this document to layout your solution.
- Integrate your solution into a server-side scripting language.
- Use the development environment to test your solution.
- When everything is functioning as expected, change your solution over to the production environment.
PCI DSS Important Notice
When using the Helcim Gateway it is your responsibility to ensure that cardholder data is secure and that the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS) guidelines are followed. It is recommended that you carefully read through all DSS requirements before developing for the Helcim Gateway. Special attention should be paid to what cardholder information you are allowed and not allowed to store, as well as, any storage requirements, such as encryption. Failure to abide by the PCI-DSS could result in the loss of access to the Helcim Gateway. For additional information, please refer to: https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/
Production vs Development Environment
The production (live) URL to connect to the Helcim Gateway is: https://gateway.helcim.com/
Test Environment - Active Merchants
You can switch between test and live transactions by sending the "test" variable along with your transaction request. A value of "1" will send the transaction as a test transaction. If the "test" variable is not included in the request, or is set to anything other than "1" the transaction will be processed as a live transaction.
Generating a New Gateway Token
Login to your Helcim Virtual Terminal. Once inside, select
Settings. Your existing Gateway token will be displayed, with the option to generate a new one. If this screen is not displayed, the Gateway API settings may not be enabled on your account. Please contact us immediately to have them enabled.