Troubleshooting the Connection
The information in this article is for merchants using Helcim's Legacy System. If you signed up for Helcim on or after June 1, 2020, please click here.
The most common error experienced by merchants is FAILURE ON ALL COMMS MODE. This means that the credit card machine has tried all communication types available (wired internet, dial-up, wireless) and is unable to communicate with us. Below are the most common ways to resolving your connectivity issues. Use the "Testing the Connection" instructions above to see if your credit card machine is working again.
- Check connections to the terminal (power cord and Ethernet or phone line) if it is connected by an Ethernet cord- is the internet working?
- Check communication settings:
- If you terminal is connected through ethernet- is the code set to 210 or 200? If it is connected primarily through the phone line is it set to 120 or 100?
- Try unplugging the terminal from power and unplug the terminal from the router. Once disconnected from the terminal restart model and/or router.
- Leave the terminal unplugged for a few minutes and then plug the terminal back into power and plug it back into the router. Wait for re-connection.
- Once the terminal has restarted, try performing a keyload and key exchange
Most technical support issues are resolved by unplugging the power from the terminal and plugging it back in (your transactions will not be lost). For the Ingenico IWL220 Bluetooth units, you should unplug the power from the communication base as well as the handheld terminal.
Internet Connections – Static IP vs. Dynamic IP
When first connecting your credit card machine to an internet connection, make sure that you have dynamic IP network available so that the machine can get a connection automatically. If your network is on static IP, contact us for instructions on how to setup your terminal using a static IP.
IWL 250 Wireless (3G) Connectivity
If you are having difficult processing a transaction using an IWL250 long-range terminal, check the number of reception bars in the top-left of the screen. The "3G" icon should be displayed in green. If not, your credit card machine may not have enough signal strength in your immediate area.
If you have access to a phone or ethernet connection, your IWL 250 can be connected to those sources if cell network coverage drops. Plug the appropriate connection into the base and set the IWL 250 connection type by following these instructions.